Several months ago, whilst on a visit to Winmau HQ, A.I.M were assisting a major finalist in redesigning his dart. We had a number of aims, no pun intended, but a major one was to reduce deflections and their impact. It was important that the player had greater reliability in this area. In addition reduction in flight and stem damage would be a useful advantage.
The last element came into place when we were handed a prototype of a new point that was to be in the 2019 range. I was immediately impressed. It appeared to solve the issues that some similar points have had. We agreed to have them fitted to the early edition of the Pro’s darts and then began to test them in a serious way.
In the six or seven months since we have subjected them to rigorous testing in multiple dart styles, different players with a spectrum of ability. In total, they have had over 5000 legs.
It is safe to say that these are an exceptional product. A.I.M has no doubt in recommending them to almost any player with any throw style or dart type.
The FreeFlo Factor!
- Stuff & Strong Steel construction. This removed the issue with the over flexing of other collared points, especially in 30mm+ length.
- Perfect barrel fit. We tried them in many different barrel brands and had no issue with fitting them to the slot or with the join area.
- Sharper for longer. Many of the new point technologies get blunt quickly and can be difficult to sharpen well. Not the case with FreeFlo, they razor sharp, stay that way for hundreds of legs and can be conventionally sharpened.
- Strength. Many similar style points have a reputation for breaking easily and snapping inside the barrel. This is a major issue and leads to new darts often being needed. FreeFlo doesn’t seem to suffer at all. Our testers played in all the usual venues and circumstances and we have not yet needed a single replacement!
- Reduced deflection and damage. The addition of these points has reduced stem damage by over 30% and flight replacement by almost the same. Deflections have been reduced, with any deflections that happen, being far less dramatic and causing less pausing or re-aiming.
Believe it or not the only downside was for a player who actually rested his finger on the tip of the point. He could not cope with the sharpness and had to blunt them slightly.
Pro – “Massive thanks to Winmau these have given me an edge I was looking for. It could be the last piece of the jigsaw”. (21g Signature)
Good Amateur – “Brilliant, I have full confidence in my dart and throw, these are superb”. (18g Tapered)
Enthusiastic Amateur- “First time I have been able to use this type of Point. Really happy to rest my finger in the same place every time.” (24g Zagato)
A huge bonus here from Winmau. A.I.M: believe that point tech is one reason for the increase in players hitting high averages and widening the professional game. Winmau have caught up moved it on again with FreeFlo.